What is this?

Hi! My name is Ulrik, and this is my student blog. My posts will be based on tasks and subjects given to the class by my English teacher Ann. I am currently in my third year at Sandvika High School, Norway.

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Trace effects, a waste of time?



Today we tried a new game, named "Trace effects", made by the US department of state. By playing the game, you are suppose to learn English. It's made for students between 12 and 16, and it's played in your browser. So, is it worth playing?


The experience of the game

When I first clicked my way into the website, I had no idea what I was about to play. I had to make an account, which annoyed me since I hoped I could use my Google account, or something else. After making my account I had to wait for the game to load, which took about ten minutes. After the introduction video, that explained that I had to find my time-machine so that I could get back to the original time, I could finally start playing.
First the game lagged for a bit(which is probably the computers fault, but I think it should be playable on the school computer), then I was given the task of finding clues. The game is in 3D, and the graphics are not good, but still impressive for being in a browser. I went outside, and again I had to wait, this time for about three minutes, while the game loaded. Outside, I found some buildings and I could talk to people in my quest for clues. The voice acting in the game reminded me of a robot, unsuccessfully programmed to sound like a human, and I soon went tired of lagging around listening to them. After walking around some more finding clues, I went tired, and "finally" the game crashed. 

Worth playing?

The idea of the game is good, but the game is not. I don't understand how you are suppose to learn more English from this game than, let's say The Elders Scrolls Skyrim. Trace effects is basically a bad story, made into a bad game, from which you do not learn anything you would not learn from a normal game. I would not recommend this game to anyone, since it's a complete waist of time you could have used either to play a good game, or to actually learn English instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment